BOOK OF MORMON on the TONY AWARDS

 BOOK OF MORMON on the TONY AWARDS

http://youtu.be/tggtPHDmrR8

In order for me to see Book of Mormon, I had to stand on line in the rain for 4 hours to get standing room seats behind the orchestra. Though, when I say "I had to," I of course mean "my brother had to." Either way, I felt his pain when we agreed "this show had better be worth it!" And it was, for me anyway. 


BoMo (as I've decided to call it) just won, I think, every single Tony Award this year - including Best Musical, Best Original Score, Best Revival, Regional Theater Award and Lifetime Achievement. This song is a good example of the humor of the show, and displays, most importantly, that the songs are good. Dang good. Heck, I'll even say darn good! 


The basic premise of BoMo  is that some ambitious uber-Mormon missionaries get sent to war-torn Africa instead of where they wanted to be: Florida. Things don't go so easily as they planned (because the warlords in Florida are no where near as hardcore as in Africa) their faith is tested, etc etc. Here the most steadfast and blindly faithful Mormon reasserts his faith in Mormonism, despite all the wacky things they actually believe. 


It escalates perfectly from normal religious beliefs like, "I believe that God has a plan for all of us" to "I believe that God lives on a planet called Kolob, and I believe that Jesus has own planet as well!" The song swells with a tone of inspirational gospel that is both misleading and totally genuine. Because as Elder Price says about faith in religion, "you cannot believe in it part way, you have to believe in it all... and by gosh, a mormon just believes." Even if some of those beliefs are that "in 1978 God changed his mind about black people." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIVORCED DAD COOKING SHOW

KEVIN SORBO IS DISAPPOINTED

SKOOL BOY SWAG